Chyulu hills national park bird list
Chyulu hills national park bird list: Chyulu hills national park is found in East region of Kenya near the towns of Voi and Tsavo 190 kilometers south-east of Nairobi and 30 kilometers of South-west of Kibwezi, this park gazetted in 1983 and covering an area of 741 square kilometers stretches around Chyulu hills which is one of the great attractions in the park and the reason why it is referred o as the green hills of Africa.
Chyulu hills national park is listed among the most important birding sites in Kenya, the park is a habitant to over 171 bird species of various categories. Among the birds habiting in chyulu hills national park include vulnerable bird species, critically endangered species and near-threatened.
- vulnerable bird species in Chyulu hills national park include such as southern ground-hornbill, martial eagle, secretary bird
- critically endangered in the park include white-backed vulture
- Near-threatened species include crowned eagle, Bateleur.
Chyulu hills national park is recognized by the birdlife international in Birdlife Data zones for habiting a large population of bird species as listed below.
Galliformes species found in Chyulu national park include Helmeted Guinea fowl, Crested Guinea fowl, Scaly Francolin, Hildebrandt’s Francolin, Crested Francolin and Shelley’s Francolin. Galliformes species are of two scientific species that is Numididae and Phasianidae.
Columbiformes species found in Chyulu national park include rameron pigeon, Delegorgue’s pigeon, lemon dove, red-eyed dove, emerald-spotted wood-dove, tambourine dove and African green-pigeon
Musophagiformes species found in Chyulu national park include Hartlaub’s Turaco and Purple-crested Turaco
Cuculiformes species found in Chyulu national park include White-browed Coucal, Klaas’s Cuckoo and Red-chested Cuckoo
Caprimulgiformes species found in Chyulu national park include Eurasian Nightjar, Alpine Swift and African Palm-Swift. Caprimulgiformes species are of two kinds that is Apodidae and Caprimulgidae.
Gruiformes species found in Chyulu national park include Black Crake
Charadriiformes species found in Chyulu national park include Crowned Lapwing
Pelecaniformes species found in Chyulu national park include Gray Heron and Great Egret
Accipitriformes species found in Chyulu national park are of two kinds that is Accipitriformes Sagittariidae including Secretary bird and Accipitriformes accipitridae which include African Harrier-Hawk, White-backed Vulture, Bateleur, Brown Snake-Eagle, Crowned Eagle, Martial Eagle, Long-crested Eagle, Verreaux’s Eagle, Lizard Buzzard, Mountain Buzzard and Augur Buzzard.
Strigiformes species found in Chyulu national park include Pearl-spotted Owlet and African Wood-Owl
Coliiformes species in Chyulu national park Speckled Mouse bird
Trogoniformes species found in Chyulu national park include Narina Trogon
Bucerotiformes species found in Chyulu national park are of various species that is include Upupa epops that is Eurasian Hoopoe, Phoeniculidae that is common Scimitar bill, Bucorvidae that is southern ground hornbill and Bucerotidae that is crowned hornbill, von der Decken’s hornbill, northern red-billed hornbill and silvery-cheeked hornbill.
Coraciiformes species found in Chyulu national park are of various kinds that is Alcedinidae that is gray-headed kingfisher and brown-hooded kingfisher, Meropidae that is Little Bee-eater, Cinnamon-chested Bee-eater and European Bee-eater, Coraciidae that is Broad-billed Roller
Piciformes species found in Chyulu national park are of different species such as Lybiidae such as Red-and-yellow Barbet, White-eared Barbet, Moustached Tinkerbird, Red-fronted Tinkerbird, Spot-flanked Barbet and White-headed Barbet, Indicatoridae such as Pallid Honeyguide, Lesser Honeyguide and Greater Honeyguide and Picidae such as Cardinal Woodpecker and Nubian Woodpecker
Falconiformes species found in Chyulu national park include Amur Falcon, Eurasian Hobby and Peregrine Falcon.
Passeriformes species found in Chyulu national park are of various kinds like
- Oriolidae species that is Eurasian Golden Oriole and African Black-headed Oriole.
- Platysteiridae species such as chin spot batis and Eastern Black-headed Batis, Vangidae such as White Helmet shrike and Retz’s Helmet shrike.
- Malaconotidae species such as Black-backed Puffback, Black-crowned Tchagra, Brown-crowned Tchagra, Tropical Boubou, Slate-colored Boubou, Sulphur-breasted Bushshrike, Black-fronted Bushshrike and Gray-headed Bushshrike.
- Dicruridae species that is Fork-tailed Drongo.
- Monarchidae species that is African Crested-Flycatcher and African Paradise-Flycatcher.
- Laniidae species such as Red-tailed Shrike, Long-tailed Fiscal, Northern Fiscal and White-rumped Shrike
- Corvidae species such as White-necked Raven
- Paridae species such as White-bellied Tit
- Alaudidae species such as Flappet Lark
- Macrosphenidae species such as Red-faced Crombec and Moustached Grass-Warbler
- Cisticolidae species such as Yellow-bellied Eremomela, Green-backed Camaroptera, Bar-throated Apalis, Yellow-breasted Apalis, Black-headed Apalis, Tawny-flanked Prinia, Singing Cisticola, Rattling Cisticola, Croaking Cisticola and Siffling Cisticola.
- Acrocephalidae species such as Marsh Warbler
- Locustellidae species such as Evergreen-forest Warbler and Cinnamon Bracken-Warbler
- Hirundinidae species such as Barn Swallow, Red-rumped Swallow, Common House-Martin, White-headed Sawwing and Black Sawwing.
- Pycnonotidae species such as Sombre Greenbul, Stripe-cheeked Greenbul, Yellow-bellied Greenbul, Northern Brownbul, Cabanis’s Greenbul and Common Bulbul.
- Phylloscopidae species such as Willow Warbler and Brown Woodland-Warbler.
- Sylviidae species include African Hill Babbler
- Zosteropidae species include Mbulu White-eye and Pale White-eye
- Leiothrichidae species include Rufous Chatterer
- Sturnidae species include Hildebrandt’s Starling and Greater Blue-eared Starling.
- Turdidae species include Orange Ground-Thrush and Abyssinian Thrush.
- Muscicapidae species include African Dusky Flycatcher, Spotted Flycatcher, African Gray Flycatcher, White-eyed Slaty-Flycatcher, Rüppell’s Robin-Chat, White-starred Robin, Thrush Nightingale Rufous-tailed Rock-Thrush and African Stonechat.
- Nectariniidae species include Collared Sunbird, Olive Sunbird, Amethyst Sunbird, Scarlet-chested Sunbird, Bronze Sunbird, Malachite Sunbird, Golden-winged Sunbird, Eastern Double-collared Sunbird and Variable Sunbird
- Ploceidae species include White-browed Sparrow-Weaver, Red-headed Weaver, Baglafecht Weaver, Black-necked Weaver, Spectacled Weaver, African Golden-Weaver, Chestnut Weaver, Red-billed Quelea, Yellow Bishop and White-winged Widowbird.
- Estrildidae species include Common Waxbill, Red-cheeked Cordonbleu, Peters’ Twin spot, Green-winged Pytilia and African Fire finch.
- Viduidae species include Pin-tailed Whydah
- Passeridae species include Northern Gray-headed Sparrow
- Motacillidae species include Western Yellow Wagtail, African Pipit, Long-billed Pipit, Tree Pipit and Pangani Longclaw
- Fringillidae species include Southern Citril, Reichenow’s Seedeater and Streaky Seedeater
The above listed bird species are easily encountered while on a bird watching safari in chyulu hill national park.