Bird life in tsavo west national park
Birdlife in tsavo west national park : Tsavo west national park is an important birding site hosting more than 400 bird species, among the bird species in the park they include introduced bird species such as house sparrow and House Crow. Rare/accidental bird species such as magpie Mannikin, Ortolan Bunting, Savi’s Warbler, Isabelline Shrike, Eurasian sparrow hawk, Levant sparrow hawk and Bat-like Spine tail. Because of the huge bird population in the park Tsavo west national park is ranked among the best bird spotting areas in Kenya, the park is a filled with many spots which habit numerous birds such as savannah plains, around Tsavo River, acacia vegetation and Ngulia hills area.
The list below outlines various species of birds found in Tsavo west national park.
Struthionformes species in Tsavo west national park include Common Ostrich and Somali Ostrich
Anseriformes species in Tsavo west national park include White-faced Whistling-Duck, Fulvous Whistling-Duck, Knob-billed Duck, Egyptian Goose, Spur-winged Goose, Red-billed Duck and Southern Pochard
Galliformes species in Tsavo west national park are of two species that is Numididae species including helmeted Guinea fowl, Vulturine Guinea fowl and Crested Guinea fowl, and Phasianidae species including Blue Quail, Common Quail, Harlequin Quail, Hildebrandt’s Francolin, Yellow-necked Francolin, Red-necked Francolin, Crested Francolin, Coqui Francolin and Shelley’s Francolin.
Phoenicopteriformes species in Tsavo west national park include Greater Flamingo
Podicipediformes species in Tsavo west national park include Little Grebe
Columbiformes species in Tsavo west national park include Speckled Pigeon, Mourning Collared-Dove, Red-eyed Dove, Ring-necked Dove, Laughing Dove, Emerald-spotted Wood-Dove, Namaqua Dove and African Green-Pigeon
Pterocliformes species in Tsavo west national park include Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse, Yellow-throated Sandgrouse and Black-faced Sandgrouse
Otidiformes species in Tsavo west national park include Kori Bustard, White-bellied Bustard, Buff-crested Bustard, Black-bellied Bustard and Hartlaub’s Bustard
Musophagiformes species in Tsavo west national park include Purple-crested Turaco and White-bellied Go-away-bird.
Cuculiformes species in Tsavo west national include White-browed Coucal, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Levaillant’s Cuckoo, Pied Cuckoo, Dideric Cuckoo, Klaas’s Cuckoo, African Emerald Cuckoo, Black Cuckoo, Red-chested Cuckoo, Lesser Cuckoo, African Cuckoo and Common Cuckoo.
Caprimulgiformes species in Tsavo west national park are in two species such as Caprimulgidae including Eurasian Nightjar, Sombre Nightjar, Nubian Nightjar, Donaldson-Smith’s Nightjar, Plain Nightjar, Freckled Nightjar, Slender-tailed Nightjar and Square-tailed Nightjar. And Apodidae species including Mottled Spine tail, Bat-like Spine tail, Alpine Swift, Mottled Swift, Common Swift, Nyanza Swift, African Swift, Little Swift, White-rumped Swift and African Palm-Swift.
Gruiformes species in Tsavo west national park are of various categories such as rallidae species including Lesser Moorhen, Eurasian Moorhen and Black Crake, heliornithidae species such as African Finfoot and gruidae that is Gray Crowned-Crane
Charadriiformes species in Tsavo west national park include are of various species that is
- burhinidae species such as Water Thick-knee and Spotted Thick-knee
- Recurvirostridae species such as Black-winged Stilt
- Charadriidae species such as Long-toed Lapwing, Blacksmith Lapwing, Spur-winged Lapwing, Black-headed Lapwing, Senegal Lapwing, Crowned Lapwing, Kittlitz’s Plover, Common Ringed Plover and three-banded Plover.
- Rostratulidae species such as Greater Painted-Snipe
- Jacanidae species such as African Jacana
- Scolopacidae species such as Ruff, Curlew Sandpiper, Little Stint, Common Snipe, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Common Greenshank, Marsh Sandpiper and Wood Sandpiper.
- Turnicidae species such as Small Buttonquail and Quail-plover
- Glareolidae species Somali Courser, Temminck’s Courser, Double-banded Courser, three-banded Courser and Collared Pratincole.
- Laridae species such as White-winged Tern
Ciconiiformes species in Tsavo west national park include African Open bill, Black Stork, Abdim’s Stork, Woolly-necked Stork, White Stork, Saddle-billed Stork, Marabou Stork and Yellow-billed Stork
Suliformes species in Tsavo west national park are of various species such as Anhingidae including African Darter and Phalacrocoracidae such as Long-tailed Cormorant and Great Cormorant
Pelecaniformes species in Tsavo west national park are of various species that is
- Scopidae species which include Hammerkop
- Ardeidae species which include Little Bittern, Dwarf Bittern, Gray Heron, Black-headed Heron, Goliath Heron, Purple Heron, Great Egret, Intermediate Egret, Little Egret, Cattle Egret, Squacco Heron, Striated Heron and Black-crowned Night-Heron.
- Threskiornithidae species such as Glossy Ibis, African Sacred Ibis, Hadada Ibis and African Spoonbill
Accipitriformes species in Tsavo west national park are of various species such as
- Sagittariidae species including Secretary bird
- Accipitridae species including Black-winged Kite, African Harrier-Hawk, Palm-nut Vulture, Bearded Vulture, Egyptian Vulture, European Honey-buzzard, White-headed Vulture, Lappet-faced Vulture, Hooded Vulture, White-backed Vulture, Rüppell’s Griffon, Bateleur, Black-chested Snake-Eagle, Brown Snake-Eagle, Bat Hawk, Crowned Eagle, Martial Eagle, Long-crested Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Wahlberg’s Eagle, Booted Eagle, Tawny Eagle, Steppe Eagle, Verreaux’s Eagle, African Hawk-Eagle, Lizard Buzzard, Eastern Chanting-Goshawk, Gabar Goshawk, Grasshopper Buzzard, Eurasian Marsh-Harrier, Pallid Harrier, Montagu’s Harrier, African Goshawk, Shikra, Levant Sparrow hawk, Little Sparrow hawk, Ovambo Sparrow hawk, Eurasian sparrow hawk, Black Goshawk, Black Kite, African Fish-Eagle, Common Buzzard, Long-legged Buzzard and Augur Buzzard.
Strigiformes species in Tsavo west national park include Eurasian Scops-Owl, African Scops-Owl, Spotted Eagle-Owl, Verreaux’s Eagle-Owl, Pearl-spotted Owlet, African Wood-Owl and Marsh Owl
Coliiformes species in Tsavo west national park include Speckled Mouse bird, White-headed mouse bird and Blue-naped mouse bird
Trogoniformes species in Tsavo west national park include Narina Trogon
Bucerotiformes species in Tsavo west national park are of different kinds that is
- Bucorvidae species Southern Ground-Hornbill
- Upupidae species which include Eurasian Hoopoe
- Phoeniculidae species which include Green Woodhoopoe, Violet Woodhoopoe, Common Scimitar bill and Abyssinian Scimitar bill
- Bucerotidae species which include Crowned Hornbill, African Gray Hornbill, Eastern Yellow-billed Hornbill, Von der Decken’s Hornbill, Northern Red-billed Hornbill and Trumpeter Hornbill
Coraciiformes species in Tsavo west national park are of various species such as
- Alcedinidae species which include Half-collared Kingfisher, Malachite Kingfisher, African Pygmy-Kingfisher, Gray-headed Kingfisher, Mangrove Kingfisher, Brown-hooded Kingfisher, Striped Kingfisher, Giant Kingfisher and Pied Kingfisher
- Meropidae species which include Little Bee-eater, Somali Bee-eater, White-throated Bee-eater, Blue-cheeked Bee-eater, Madagascar Bee-eater, European Bee-eater and Northern Carmine Bee-eater.
- Coraciidae species which include European Roller, Lilac-breasted Roller, Rufous-crowned Roller and Broad-billed Roller
Piciformes species in Tsavo west national park are of various kinds such as
- Lybiidae species which include Red-and-yellow Barbet, D’Arnaud’s Barbet, White-eared Barbet, Red-fronted Tinkerbird, Red-fronted Barbet, Spot-flanked Barbet, Black-throated Barbet and Brown-breasted Barbet.
- Indicatoridae species which include Lesser Honeyguide and Greater Honeyguide
- Picidae species such as Eurasian Wryneck, Cardinal Woodpecker, Bearded Woodpecker and Nubian Woodpecker
Falconiformes species in Tsavo west national park include Pygmy Falcon, Lesser Kestrel, Eurasian Kestrel, Amur Falcon, Eleonora’s Falcon, Sooty Falcon, Eurasian Hobby Falco, African Hobby, Lanner Falcon, Peregrine Falcon and Taita Falcon.
Psittaciformes species in Tsavo west national park include Red-bellied Parrot
Passeriformes species in Tsavo west national are present in various kinds such as
- Campephagidae species such as Black Cuckoo shrike
- Oriolidae species such as Eurasian Golden Oriole, African Golden Oriole and African Black-headed Oriole
- Platysteiridae species such as Chinspot Batis, Eastern Black-headed Batis and Pygmy Batis
- Vangidae species such as White Helmetshrike and Retz’s Helmetshrike
- Malaconotidae species such as Brubru, Pringle’s Puffback, Black-backed Puffback, Black-crowned Tchagra, Brown-crowned Tchagra, Three-streaked Tchagra, Red-naped Bushshrike, Tropical Boubou, Slate-colored Boubou, Rosy-patched Bushshrike, Sulphur-breasted Bushshrike and Gray-headed Bushshrike.
- Dicruridae species such as Fork-tailed Drongo
- Monarchidae species such as African Paradise-Flycatcher
- Laniidae species such as Red-backed Shrike, Red-tailed Shrike, Isabelline Shrike, Lesser Gray Shrike, Long-tailed Fiscal, Taita Fiscal Northern Fiscal and White-rumped Shrike.
- Corvidae species such as House Crow, Pied Crow and White-necked Raven
- Paridae species such as White-bellied Tit and Somali Tit
- Remizidae species such as Mouse-colored Penduline tit
- Alaudidae species such as Chestnut-backed Sparrow-Lark, Chestnut-headed Sparrow-Lark, Fischer’s Sparrow-Lark, Pink-breasted Lark, Foxy Lark, Red-winged Lark, Rufous-naped Lark, Flappet Lark, Friedmann’s Lark and Singing Bush lark.
- Nicatoridae species such as Eastern Nicator
- Macrosphenidae such as Northern Crombec, Red-faced Crombec, Somali Crombec and Moustached Grass-Warbler
- Cisticolidae species such as Yellow-vented Eremomela, Yellow-bellied Eremomela, Gray Wren-Warbler, Green-backed Camaroptera, Buff-bellied Warbler, Yellow-breasted Apalis, Tawny-flanked Prinia, Pale Prinia, Red-fronted Prinia, Rattling Cisticola, Ashy Cisticola, Winding Cisticola, Croaking Cisticola, Tiny Cisticola, Zitting Cisticola and Desert Cisticola.
- Acrocephalidae species such as Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, Upcher’s Warbler, Olive-tree Warbler, Icterine Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Marsh Warbler, Eurasian Reed Warbler, African Reed Warbler, Basra Reed Warbler, Lesser Swamp Warbler and Great Reed Warbler.
- Locustellidae species such as River Warbler and Savi’s Warbler
- Hirundinidae species such as Plain Martin, Bank Swallow, Banded Martin, Rock Martin, Barn Swallow, Wire-tailed Swallow, Red-rumped Swallow, Lesser Striped Swallow, Mosque Swallow, Common House-Martin, White-headed Sawwing and Black Sawwing
- Pycnonotidae species such as Sombre Greenbul, Yellow-bellied Greenbul, Northern Brownbul and Common Bulbul.
- Phylloscopidae species such as Willow Warbler and Common Chiffchaff
- Sylviidae species such as Eurasian Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Barred Warbler and Greater Whitethroat
- Zosteropidae species such as Pale White-eye.
- Leiothrichidae species such as Scaly Chatterer and Rufous Chatterer
- Buphagidae species such as Red-billed Oxpecker and Yellow-billed Oxpecker
- Sturnidae species such as Wattled Starling, Violet-backed Starling, Red-winged Starling, Magpie Starling, Black-bellied Starling, Hildebrandt’s Starling, Shelley’s Starling, Rüppell’s Starling, Golden-breasted Starling, Superb Starling, Fischer’s Starling and Greater Blue-eared Starling.
- Turdidae species such as African Bare-eyed Thrush
- Muscicapidae species such as Spotted Flycatcher, Gambaga Flycatcher, African Gray Flycatcher, Gray Tit-Flycatcher, Ashy Flycatcher, Southern Black-Flycatcher, Rufous-tailed Scrub-Robin, Red-backed Scrub-Robin, White-browed Robin-Chat, Red-capped Robin-Chat, Spotted Morning-Thrush, White-throated Robin, Thrush Nightingale, Common Nightingale, Common Redstart, Rufous-tailed Rock-Thrush, Whinchat, Mocking Cliff-Chat, Northern Wheatear, Capped Wheatear, Isabelline Wheatear and Pied Wheatear.
- Nectariniidae species such as Eastern Violet-backed Sunbird, Collared Sunbird, Olive Sunbird, Amethyst Sunbird, Scarlet-chested Sunbird, Hunter’s Sunbird, Beautiful Sunbird, Mariqua Sunbird, Black-bellied Sunbird, Tsavo Sunbird and Variable Sunbird
- Ploceidae species such as Red-billed Buffalo-Weaver, White-headed Buffalo-Weaver, White-browed Sparrow-Weaver, Gray-headed Social-Weaver, Black-capped Social-Weaver, Red-headed Weaver, Baglafecht Weaver, Black-necked Weaver, Spectacled Weaver, African Golden-Weaver, Golden Palm Weaver, Lesser Masked-Weaver, Vitelline Masked-Weaver, Village Weaver, Golden-backed Weaver, Chestnut Weaver, Cardinal Quelea, Red-billed Quelea, Zanzibar Red Bishop, Black-winged Bishop, Fire-fronted Bishop, Yellow Bishop, White-winged Widowbird, Red-collared Widowbird and Grosbeak Weaver.
- Estrildidae species such as Green-backed Twin spot, Crimson-rumped Waxbill, Common Waxbill, Black-faced Waxbill, Black-cheeked Waxbill, Red-cheeked Cordonbleu, Blue-capped Cordonbleu, Purple Grenadier, Peters’ Twin spot, Green-winged Pytilia, Red-billed Fire finch, African Fire finch, Jameson’s Fire finch, Cut-throat, Gray-headed Silver bill, Bronze Mannikin, Magpie Mannikin and African Silver bill.
- Viduidae species such as Pin-tailed Whydah, Eastern Paradise-Whydah, Steel-blue Whydah, Straw-tailed Whydah, Village Indigo bird and Purple Indigo bird
- Passeridae species such as House Sparrow, Kenya Rufous Sparrow, Northern Gray-headed Sparrow, Parrot-billed Sparrow, Chestnut Sparrow and Yellow-spotted Bush Sparrow
- Motacillidae species such as Mountain Wagtail, Western Yellow Wagtail, African Pied Wagtail, African Pipit, Striped Pipit, Tree Pipit, Red-throated Pipit, Golden Pipit, Yellow-throated Longclaw and Pangani Longclaw
- Fringillidae species such as Reichenow’s Seedeater and White-bellied Canary
- Emberizidae species such as Ortolan Bunting, Golden-breasted Bunting, Somali Bunting and Cinnamon-breasted Bunting
Among the bird species in Tsavo west national park, Passeriformes take the most percentage in the park